What is PPL?

March 1, 2007

Ever wonder how nightclubs, bars or restaurant can play music legally?
Well it’s simple, you just need to buy a Phonographic Performance Ltd (PPL) licence. The licence cover the copyright fee and allow to play mechanically recorded music.
Nightclubs owner who think that they get away with it are facing serious legal actions, such as a ban of playing music, quite logical after all. That’s what happens to Mr R Hussain (owner of Bracknell’s Shikara nightclub) who was told by the justice that he wasn’t using the proper license. He faces a heavy fine and even prison if he doesn’t come back on the legal side. Read about this story here.
If you are an artist and have your music played in the media (TV, radio, clubs…), you need to register to the PPL organisation in order to receive your royalties. Get more information at www.ppluk.com



  1. I heard of a case several years ago of a store being fined for not having a PPL licence. It’s amazing to think that people are still trying to bypass this long-standing tradition.

  2. This is an interesting read, but people have also had problems with licencing of their podcast, and websites. Here is a link to an article I read on that, http://www.promotionworld.com/marketing/online/article/070228protectingyourwebsite.html

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: